Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The state is still the main provider of welfare benefits: we’re still living in a welfare state.
- a new/official/controversial/conservative/zero-tolerance policy; a change of policy
Politik; (politisches) Programm
- first aid; public aid; legal aid
- → to aid sb/sth (v)
- unemployment/social security/maternity/tax benefit
- For people who have been welfare recipients for a long time it is often difficult to enter the job market again.
- ability to provide for oneself everything that is needed
- Many immigrants have to settle for low-paying jobs at first.
- ↔ well-paid job
schlecht bezahlte Anstellung
- The proponents of the new immigration law stressed how much it would be needed in the coming years.
- ↔ opponent
- government benefit for people with very low incomes, usually in the form of coupons or cards that can be used to get food at stores
- The government wants to keep the cost of national health insurance in check.
- ↔ two-parent family
Familie mit nur einem Elternteil
- being in need; poor
to offset sth
- to counterbalance
- Less and less children are being born, but immigration offsets this at the moment so that the total population remains stable.
- gradual weakening
- → to decline (v)
Rückgang; Abnahme; Niedergang
- The unemployment figures peaked at 14 million last month, but now it should get better again.
- → peak (n)
einen Höchststand erreichen
- The government wants to reduce the number of people who are dependent on welfare programs.
- ↔ independent from
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview