WOUND HEALING vocab
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Relating to the contact surfaces, either proximal or distal, of two adjacent teeth; proximate.
premature "bursting" open of a wound along surgical suture
bowel contents protruding through the abdominal wall
- JP drain
- used to remove fluids that build up in areas of your body.
- Unwanted fluid can collect in areas of infection, areas where surgery has been done, or in other body areas.
- -squeezable football type reservior
- approach of having the patient return in 3-4 days,
- after initial wound cleansing and dressing, for wound closure.
wound closure immediately following the injury and prior to the formation of granulation tissue.
- strategy of allowing wounds to heal on their own
- without surgical closure.
fluid with a high content of protein and cellular debris which has escaped from blood vessels during inflammatory phase, and is been deposited in tissues or on tissue surfaces.
usually as a result of inflammation.
- thick whitish-yellow fluid
- results from the accumulation of white blood cells (WBCs), liquified tissue and cellular debris.
- destruction of organisms before they enter the body.
- used in caring for open wounds and in surgical procedures
- Round drain that is compressed flat to provide suction to a draining wound.
- -The capacity is larger (than a Jackson-Pratt)
- -Hemovac drain placed under skin during surgery.
- -This drain removes any blood or other fluids that might build up in this area.
- -has attached reservoir and is considered a CLOSED SYSTEM
- -looks like a manual air pump with springs
- -patient can go home with the drain still in place.
- a thin rubber tube used as a surgical drain device.
- -Promoting drainage of blood, lymph, and other fluids helps reduce the risk of infection and keeps the patient more comfortable.
- -The penrose drain is the most commonly used drain.
- -drains directly onto the dressing and skin
**looks like a large flat piece of macaroni**
- liquified necrotic (dead) tissue & wound byproducts
- -can be hard to distinguish from pus
formation of discharge or pus
FREE from living organisms and especially microorganisms
- Highly vascularised tissue that replaces the initial fibrin clot in a wound.
- *The tissue is also rich in fibroblasts (that will eventually produce the fibrous tissue) and leucocytes.
- --Tissue granulation in a wound bed is a positive sign because it indicates the wound is healing
- --Healthy granulation tissue is shiny, bleeds easily and appears beefy-red or deep pink. The surface of this type of tissue resembles raspberries
To remove dead, contaminated or adherent tissue or foreign material that may promote infection and impede healing.
Bleeding or the abnormal flow of blood
- an abnormal connection between an organ, vessel, or intestine and another organ, vessel or intestine, or the skin.
- --usually the result of trauma or surgery, but can also result from infection or inflammation.
- consists of serum (from blood and mucous membranes)
- contains NO blood cells, platelets, or fibrinogen
- is clear and watery
- i.e. fluid in blister
- drainage fluid composed of both serum and blood
- -clear drainage, but blood tinged
- dried, devitalized tissue
- prevents wound healing if allowed to accumulate
- cannot stage wound when present because you cant see it.
collagen-rich tissue which forms at the site of an injury.
the growth of epithelium over the surface of a wound, which marks the final stage of healing.
- bloody, seen in open wounds
- consists of large amounts of RBC's
- may be fresh (bright red) or old (dark red)
- consists of PUS (liquified leukocytes and bacteria)
- varies in color (blue, green, yellow...)
- process of pus formation = suppuration
clotting of blood
process of losing so much flesh as to become extremely thin; wasting
Redness of the skin caused by dilatation and congestion of the capillaries, often a sign of inflammation or infection.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview