The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the three preventative services?
- truly prevented
- i.e. fluoride, sealant
- treatment of early disease
- prevent further progress of poss irreversible conditions
- i.e. removal of all calc/biofilm while debriding a root surface in a shallow pocket
- methods used after secondary prevention fails
- rehabilitate the oral cavity/replace tissues to function properly
- i.e. bridge, implant
- strategies for one or more to improve their health
- entire pt care system
- preventative and therapeutic depends on the pt's understanding and care
- clinical treatments to arrest/control disease and maintain tissues
- all scaling, root debridement, posttreatment = therapeutic for perio
- sealant = preventative and therapeutic
purpose of the dental hygiene process of care
- provides a framework for each individual
- identify causative or influencing factors to be reduced, eliminated, or prevented by hygienist
what is assessment?
- the first component of the hygiene process
- foundation for collecting subjective and objective data
what are assessment objectives?
- systematic collection of data of the pt's health
- documentation in pt's record
subjective data is _______ and _______ with the patient.
it includes chief complaint, ________ of health, _______ and value on oral health
- observation and interaction
objective data includes _______ and oral assessment
evidence of _______ in teeth, probing depths,
loss of _______ attachment, caries, and defective _______
what is the definition of dental hygiene diagnosis?
- health behaviors of individuals, and actual/potential health problems the hygienist can treat
- data from the assessment phase are critically analyzed and interpreted
objectives of DH diagnosis
- identify health behaviors
- provide the basis of the design, implementation, and evaluation of the plan
- treatment proposed to patient
- hygienist responsible for pt
what is data processing?
using critical thinking skills to collect and interpret information
classification is sorting info into categories such as systemic, _______ _______ tissue, _______, dental, and oral _______. intrepreted according to pt's needs
- oral soft
interpretation relies upon _______ _______. analysis, synthesis, _______ reasoning and _______ reasoning determine diagnosis
- critical thinking
validation is an attempt to verify the accuracy of _______ _______. recognizing _______, isolating descrepancies, and identifying the need for more information
- data interpretation
focus on the pt's _______. determine actual/potential_______, and risks. specify contributing _______. be safe and _______. express the problem and _______.