Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is enamel?
the protective outer layer of a tooth
What is the pulp of a tooth?
the soft tissue in the center of the tooth where the nerve and blood are located
What is dentin?
the part of the tooth making up most of the tooth, harder than bone
what is plaque?
a sticky film containing germs that forms on teeth
What is nearsightedness?
a vision problem in which one cannot see clearly far away
what is farsightedness?
a vision problem in which one cannot see clearly up close
What is the iris?
the colored part of the eye
What is the pupil?
the opening in the eye that lets in light
What is the lens?
located behind the pupil, it is curved and clear and focuses images
What are rods?
part of the retina which allows you to see black and white
What are the cones?
parts of the retina which allows you to see colors
What is the optic nerve?
the nerve that sends images to the brain from the eyes
What is the eardrum?
a membrane that vibrates when sounds travel down the ear canal
What is the cochlea?
a part of the inner ear; shaped like a snail shell
What is the middle ear?
contains the hammer, the anvil, and the stirrup
What is the dermis?
the layer of skin just below the epidermis
What is the epidermis?
the protective outer layer of the skin
List three ways you can tell food is spoiling.
- 1. Food is discolored or smells bad
- 2. Fruit or vegetable is bruised
- 3. Bulging, leaky, or dented cans that are past their expiration date
What is a fad diet?
a diet that is popular for a short time but may be bad for you
What is a stroke?
a sudden destruction of brain cells, caused by lack of oxygen
How can a stroke be prevented through nutrition?
- stay at a healthy weight
- eat a low fat diet
What is diabetes?
inadequate insulin, which causes too much sugar to stay in your blood
How is diabetes affected by what you eat?
Being overweight contributes to the disease
An imbalance of carbohydrate from food and available insulin causes diabetics to have high blood sugar
How often should you exercise?
3 to 4 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes
What is the best kind of exercise?
The kind you will do!
Give five benefits of exercise.
- 1. weight control
- 2. helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints
- 3. helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- 4. more energy, feel better
- 5. better sleep
What does "hygiene" mean?
the process of maintaining and practicing cleanliness
Why is it important to practice good hygiene?
helps you stay free of disease
What should you do to practice good dental hygiene?
- Brush and floss twice a day.
- Visit the dentist twice a year.
- Limit sugar to reduce bacteria and plaque growth.
Describe good skin care.
- Wash your body regularly with soap and water. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 15 when exposed to sun.
- Use bug spray.
Describe good ear hygiene.
- Wear protective ear plugs around loud noises.
- Do not use Qtips in the ear canal, only around the ear area.
What is good eye care?
- Wear protective goggles in sports or when working with hardware.
- Don't look directly at the sun.
- Wear sunglasses with SPF.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview