Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The renaissance and reformation:
- * Began in Italy and spread north to rest of Europe
- * A new interest in the culture of ancient rome.
- * Italy had been the center of the roman empire
- * It was a logical place for this reawakeing to begin.
- * Architectural remains, statues, coins and inscriptions were all visible to the Italians.
- * Had centers of trade and manufacturings
- * Had wealthy and powerful merchant class.
Cosimo�s grandson, clever politician and held together Florence in the 1400�s
What was the renaissance?
- * Time of creativity and change in many areas.
- * Produced new attitudes toward culture and learning.
An intellectual movement that focused on worldly subjects rather than on religious issues.
Subject�s tought in atient greek and roman schools. (grammar, rhetoric, poetry and history)
Themes and techniques of renaissance artists:
- * Perspective
- * Realism
- * 3D
- * human anatomy
- * making objects seem round
- * accuracy
Leonardo da vinci:
Studied anatomy, optics, music, architecture and engineering. He made sketches for flying machines and under sea boats. (monalisa, last supper)
Sculptor, engineer, architect and poet. (Statue of David, Sistene Chapel)
Painted school of Athens.
Wrote the book of Courtier (manners)
Niccolo Machiavelo :
Wrote the prince.
Engravings. Helped spread Italian reaissance in germany.
Jan and Hubert Van Eyck:
Oil painting and portrait talents people.
dutch riest aand humanist translated the bible into a vernacular.
wrote the Utopia in which he describes the ideal society.
Late middle ages:
Abuses in the church
Protested with his 95 thesis and the church called on him to recant, Lutheranism was created and there wwas support.
Presented challenges to catholic church. Ideas had a profound effect on direction of the reformation. He believed in predestination. He set up a theocracy.
King Henry sought for divorce and was rejected and then created the Anglican church. (mixture of catholics and protestants)
Compromise between protestants and catholics practices.
Councel of trent and ignacios of Loyola and Teresa of Avila.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview