The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the importance of dental radiographs?
enable the dental radiographer it identify conditions that may otherwise go undetected, and allow the practitioner to see many conditions that are not apparent clinically
Uses of dental radiographs
one of the most important uses of dental radiographs. findes diseases, lesions, and conditions that cannot be identified clinically
provide essential information during routine dental treatment and confirming suspected diseases and assisting in the localization of lesions and foreign objects
dental radiographs can be used to examine the status of the teeth and bone during growth and development, and are indespensable for:
showing changes secondary to trauma, caries, and periodontal disease.
What are the benefits of dental radiographs?
to minimized or prevent problems by detecting disease; the benefit far outweighs the risk of small doses of radiation
What are some of the common conditions found on dental radiographs that may not be seen clinically?
- missing teeth
- extra teeth
- impacted teeth
- dental caries
- periodontal disease
- tooth abnormalities
- retained roots
- cysts and tumors
What must the dental radiographer have a basic understanding of?
- radiation history
- working knowledge of radiation physics
- radiation characteristics
- radiation biology
- radiation protection
what also mus the dental radiographer be familiar with?
- dental x-ray equipment
- dental x-ray film
- dental x-ray image characteristics
- dental x-ray film processing
- quality assurance in the dental office
Dental radiographer duties and responsibilities
- positioning and exposure of x-ray films
- processing of x-ray films
- mounting and identification of dental radiographs
- education of pts about dental radiography
- maintenance of darkroom facilities and processing equipment
- implementation and monitoring of quality control procedures
- ordering of dental x-ray film and related supplies
Professional goals of the dental radiographer
- patient protection
- operator protection
- patient education
- operator competence
- operator efficiency
- production of quality radiographs