DHCPOFFER � Server responds with IP address. The subnet mask & default gateway are specified in the options field. Other options might be lease time, renewal time, domain name server, Netbios name server, WINS
DHCPREQUEST � Client sends this after receiving offer indicating intent to accept
DHCPACK � server sends this to acknowledge DHCPREQUEST from client
True / False DHCP is built on a client-server model?
True / False: Cisco SDM can be used to configure DHCP?
Name three required configuration items in DHCP?
Pool network and subnet
Starting and ending addresses
What command is used to find DHCP conflicts?
Show ip dhcp conflict
List three basic items of router security?
Telnet, Login and SSH
List two statements that describe the functions of a router in a network?
Maintain their routing tables and ensure that other routers know of changes
Use the routing table to determine where to forward packets
List three items about routers and the path determination process?
Evaluate available paths to destination
Uses metrics and administrative distances when evaluating network paths
Dynamic routing occurs when information is learned using the routing information obtained from routing protocols.
List five steps in the routing process in the right order?
1. Router receives a packet on one of its interfaces
2. Router de-encapsulates the frame and uses the protocol information of the frame to determine what the network layer process will pass to the IP process
3. Router checks the destination address in the IP header. Either the packet is destined for the router itself or it must be forwarded. If it is to be forwarded the router searches its routing table to determine where to send
4. If the destination network is on a directly attached network the router will use the ARP proecess to obtain the MAC ADDR of the host and forward it to the network segment. If the network is reachable through another router, the router will use the MAC address of the next=hop router and forward the packet out of the interface listed in the routing table. 5. .The outgoing interface process encapsulates the appropriately to the media and sends the packet onto the network segment.
What contains router information that helps a router to determine the path?
List 3 functions of routing tables?
1. Provide an ordered list of known network addresses
2. contain metrics used to determine the desirability of the route
3. table associations tell a router that a particular destination is either directly connected to the router or it can be reached via another router (next hop) on way to its final destination
Describe Static Routing?
Routes entered directly by system admin
Describe Directly-Connected Network?
Interface directly attached to the network segment
Describe Default Route?
Optional entry used when no explicit entry is found in the routing table.
Entry could be done manually or populated by dynamic routing protocol
Describe Dynamic Routing?
Routes learned by the router..responsive and continually updated
List 3 metrics most commonly used by routing protocols to determine a network path?
Describe 3 characteristics of Vector Protocol?
Also know as �routing by humor�
Protocol determines direction (vector) and distance (hop-cout) to any network in the internetwork
Examples are RIP and IGRP
Describe 3 characteristics of Link-State Routing Protocol?
Respond quickly to network changes
Send periodic updates (link state refreshes) at long intervals (approx every 30 mins)
Every router trys to build its own map of network topology