The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the two sublayers of the IEEE Data Link Layer?
Logical Link Control and Media Access Control
Bridges work at which layer of the OSI reference model?
- Layer 2 - Data Link
- Bridges use MAC or hardware addresses for filtering
Repeaters work at which layer of the OSI reference model?
- Layer 1 � Physical Layer
- They regenerate the physical signal
Name the layer and list some characteristics of the Application Layer?
- Layer 7 � file, print, message, application, database services
Name the layer and list some characteristics of the Presentation Layer?
Layer 6 � encryption/decryption, compression, expansion
List some presentation layer standards?
- MPEG, MIDI & QuickTime for movies and sound
- PICT, TIFF & JPEG for direct graphic and visual images
- ASCII & EBCDIC for data standards
Name the layer and list some characteristics of the Session Layer?
Layer 5 � dialog control
Name the layer and list some characteristics of the Transport Layer?
Layer 4 � end-to-end connection
List 3 statements about connection oriented sessions?
- Segments delivered are acknowledged back to the sender upon reception
- Segments are sequenced back into their proper order upon arrival at destination
- Manageable data flow is maintained in order to avoid congestion, overloading, & loss of data.
CPE is an acronym for?
Customer Premise Equipment
CO is an acronym for?
Central Office (telephone implied)
State 3 reasons why the networking industry might use a layered approach?
- Allows change in one layer to occur without changing another layer
- Clarifies what general function is to be done rather than how to do it.
- Facilitates systematic troubleshooting
Name the OSI layer that defines bit synchronization?
Layer 1 - Physical
Name the OSI layer that defines physical topology?
Layer 1 � Physical
Name the OSI layer responsible for putting 1s and 0s in a logical group?
Layer 2 � Data Link
Name the OSI layer responsibile for framing?
Layer 2 � Data Link