The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
(1) PREPARATION FOR DRESSING CHANGE
- 1. State indications for dressing change. If transparent dressing change at least every 7 days. IF gauze and tape dressing, change at least every 48 hours. Change dressing whenever it becomes contaminated, damp, or non-adherent.
- 2. Gather equipment (dressing change kit, trash receptacle).
- 3. *Wash hands.
- 4. *Identify client.
- 5. Explain procedure.
(2) REMOVING THE OLD DRESSING
- 1. Open dressing change kit. Don mask from the kit and non-sterile gloves.
- 2. Request client turn head away from site or apply mask to client if condition necessitates.
- 3. *Remove old dressing, take care not to dislodge the central line.
- 4. Discard old dressing and gloves in proper receptacle.
REPLACING THE DRESSING
- 1. Cleanse hands.
- 2. Don sterile gloves.
- 3. Check insertion site for redness, swelling, drainage. State these items.
- 4. Remove any visible dried drainage or blood with an alcohol swab.
- 5. Pinch the wings on the Chloraprep applicator to release antiseptic. Cleanse in the following order:
- a. Clean the insertion site. Press and release sponge against the insertion site to saturate the sponge.
- b. Clean the central line.
- c. Clean the surrounding skin using a gentle back and forth motion for at least 30 seconds.
- 6. Allow skin to air dry.
- 7. Apply transparent film dressing.
- 8. Secure tubing ports with tape.
- 9. Label dressing with date, time, and initials.
(3) COMPLETING THE PROCEDURE
- 1. Discard equipment and gloves appropriately.
- 2. Wash hands.
- 3. Document procedure, reason for dressing change, and site condition.