The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name 3 causes of Hypochromic Microcytic anaemia.
- Fe deficiency
- Anaemia of chronic disease (severe) - chronic diseases include infections, inflammations, malignancy
Name 3 causes of normochronic normocytic anaemia.
- Blood loss or haemolysis
- Marrow failure
- Anaemia of chronic disease (mild)
Name 5 causes of macrocytic anaemia?
- Vit B12
- Folic acid deficiency
- Liver disease
Name 5 category of causes for folic acid deficiency.
- Inadequate intake
- Impaired absorption
- Increased requirement
- Blocked activation
Two causes of inadequate folic acid intake.
- Poor diet e.g. lack of fresh vegetables
Name 3 drugs causing folic acid deficiency.
- Methotrexate (blocked activation)
Name 4 causes of Vit B12 deficiency.
- Absorption disorders - surgery to terminal ileum, gastrectomy, IBD, celiac disease, Whipples disease...etc
- Drugs - colchicine, ETOH
- Increased requriement - hyperthyroidism, pregnancy, malignancy