The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
conteract or neutralize acidity
- calcium carbonate
- "Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums"
control loose stools and relieve diarrhea by absorbing excess water in the bowel or slowing peristalsis in the intestinal tract
- loperamide - Imodium
- "kaolin/pectin - Donnagel-MB, Kapectolin"
control nausea and vomiting by blocking nerve impulses to the vomiting center of the brain
- "prochloroperazine - Compazine, Compro"
- "trimethobenzamide - T-Gen, Tigan"
Decrease gastrointestinal (GI) spasms by slowing peristalsis and motility throughout the GI tract
- glycopyrrolate - Robinul
- propantheline - Pro-Banthine
treat constipation by increasing peristaltic activity in the large intesting or increasing water and electrolyte secretion into the bowel to induce defecation
- "senna, sennosides - Senokot, Senolax"
- "psyllium - Metamucil, Natural Fiber Supplement"
"alter the cell wall of fungi or disrupt enzyme activity, resulting in cell death"
"nystatin - Mycostatin, Nyston"
"inhibit allergic reactions of inflammation, redness, and itching caused by the release of histamine"
- diphenhydramine - Benadryl
- loratadine - Claritin
"topically applied agents that inhibit growth of bacteria, thus preventing infections in cuts, scratches and surgical incisions"
- ethyl or isopropyl alcohol
- hydrogen peroxide
decrease inflammation and itching by suppressing the immune system's inflammatory response to tissue damage
- "hydrocortisone - Certacort, Cortaid"
- "triamcinolone - Azmacort, Kenalog"
destroy and soften the outer layer of skin so that it is sloughed off or shed
"tretinoin - Retin-A, Vesanoid"
"kill insect parasites, such as mites or lice"
- "lindane - Kwell, Thion"
- permethrin - Nix
"cover; cool, dry or soothe inflamed skin"
- lotions - Cetaphil moisturizing lotion
- ointments - Vaseline
block sensation of pain by numbing the skin layers and mucous membranes
topical anesthetic medicines
- lidocaine - Xylocaine
- procaine - Novocain