Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
old school beliefs regarding religion?
- 1. polytheists
- 2. gods act on whim, ambenevolent
- 3. people must please/appease gods via sacrifice (humans, animals, food)
shift of beliefs, new school?
- 1. monotheists (muslim, hebrews, christians)
- 2. benevolent (kind, loving) all knowing, powerful
- 3. live moral lives
define moral freedom
the ability/capacity to choose between right and wrong
discuss morality and ethics.
morals - how you treat yourself
ethics - how you treat others
what ideas contributed to the monotheist concept of individual worth?
Individual = under gods image, divine spark, dignity that can't ever be taken away
how is individual worth expressed in democracy?
1. one QP= one vote
2. vote or conscience
relate moral freedom to laws
without beliefs of ability to choose right or wrong, no accountability
2 ways roman empire helped spread christianity
2. constantine - 380 A.D. made it official language of Roman empire
- based of teachings of Muhammad
- early 600's
legacy of monotheistic religions to democracy
- -Duty of individuals to combat oppression and justice
- -worth of individual
- -equality of people
purpose/belief/view of life in middle ages?
preparation for afterlife, service to church, accept you position
purpose of life in renaissance?
live life to the fullest
-individualism, art, explanation, buisness
religious movement lead by martin luther + protestants to reform catholic church, "paid pardons"
how did the renaissance + reformation shape democratic ideas? How?
emphasized importance of individuals, ability to question authority
by challenging authority of pope, supporting ideas that people interpret bible for themselves, direct relationship with god