Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is the purpose of interviewing?
The purpose of interviewing is to obtain information concerning who, what, when, where, how, or why. The purpose of gaining the info depends on the context of the interview and the role you play.
List and describe 4 of the 7 external interview conditions
- Physical setting-degree of being able to control the physical setting
- Desk arrangement, professional atmosphere, chair placement, lighting.
- Noise-Should be quiet enough so all parties can be clearly heard. Control outside noise as much as possible. This could be very important if the person speaks with an accent.
- Privacy-the interview deserves and should be assured of visible and auditory privacy. Will build a sense of trust and communicate respect.
- Paralinguistic’s-Factors of speech
- Voice level, pitch, speed, fluency of speech
How is interviewing different from basic communication?
- Interviewing is focused - - Goal oriented.
- Interviewing uses full range of sensory
- Audible/verbal – listening
- Touch – meaning of a handshake?
- Visuals – dress, reactions, surroundings
- Scent – smell, perfume, etc.
- Object is to obtain info concerning WWWWWH
Describe the 3 internal factors and how you specifically feel about that factor for yourself.
- Bring ourselves/Desiring to help
- It shows your interest, understanding of feelings, and attitude, it shows you respect them.
- Knowing ourselves/Trusting our ideas
- Shows you’re comfortable with yourself and can concentrate on the interviewee. It allows ideas and feelings to flow, we need to listen, screen, and communicate those ideas.
- Being Honest/Listening and absorbing.
- Being honest with ourselves will allow us to be honest with others. If were absorbed in ourselves we are not fully able to listen. Can’t pretend or blame the interviewee for not being clear.
Describe 2 ways in which a beginning interviewer is most likely to get “stuck”.
- Distracted by internal thinking of not knowing enough and worrying about the next question or response - - - without really
- Believing that they have all the answers! Assist them in finding their own.
Nonverbal Communication Identification
- Cue to watch for: shaking head left to right
- Possible meaning: Disapproval
- Physical Area = Eyes
- Cue to watch for: Lack of eye contact
- Possible meaning: Discomfort
- Physical Area = Mouth
- Cue to watch for: Smiles
- Possible meaning: Positive thoughts
- Physical Area = Total body
- Cue to watch for: Rocking back and forth
- Possible meaning: concern/worry