Lecture 2 Informatics and Key Points and Definitions
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are some of the issues with Internet in Healthcare?
- creating a national network of healthcare records
National Health Information Network:an electronic birth-to-death healthcare record that also provides consumer access
- Electronic Patient Record:
- Created by healthcare provider or agency
- Owned and managed by institution or agency that created them
- Also called electronic medical record (EMR)
- Electronic Health Record: One’s health information is available from any location
- Many advantages
- Also Called EPR( Electronic Patient Record)
- Personal Health Record:
- Owned and managed by the patient
- Client access to healthcare information
- Possible client data entry
Impact of HIPAA
- Currently PHRs are in a state of evolution:
- No consensus on definition
What are some of the benefits of a PHR?
Enhanced collaborative care;
- Better management of one’s disease treatment;
More personalized, higher quality of care with improved communication
- Increased involvement of patient in own care
Can travel with the patient over space and time
What are some of the disadvantages of a PHR?
- ◦Provider reluctance
- ◦Need for unique patient identifier;
- ◦data security;
- ◦Lack of data standardization and presentation;
- ◦Required change in patient thinking to accept responsibility for participation;
◦Uneven computer skills
What are some advantages of EHR?
- Ability to include decision support through guidelines and evidence-based practice
- Ability to do surveillance and monitoring for specific diseases and conditions
- Reduction in medication errors
- Decreased utilization of care through increased data and information sharing, increased patient
- compliance, and screening/testing
- Improved Readability of records
- Ability to identify patients for trials
What are some Disadvantages of EHRs
Adoption can be slow, uneven (offset currently through incentives)
- Requires “re-learning” by clinicians
- Systems still being developed
- Lack of agreement on standards
- Financial capacity
- Patient privacy & security
What are to Security precautions that would take place?
- The record could be locked if it were stolen or lost
- Would be designed to adhere to HIPAA
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview