Causes of the Civil War
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Results of the Mexican-American War
- 1. Brought California and southwest into the Union.
- 2. Balance of free and slave states.
1848 Presidential Election
- 1. General Zachary Taylor wins the election
- 2. Slavery is a key issue
Compromise of 1850 prevents Civil War
*1. Fugitive Slave Law is strengthened. It forces everyone to assist the capture of slaves.
Uncle Tom's Cabin
- *1. Novel for Anti-Slavery persuation.
- 2. South gets defensive of the instituion.
- 3. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote this.
1852 Presidential Election
- 1. General Franklin Pierce, northern Democrat, wins the election espousing southern interests.
- 2. Slavery has split the Whig party leading to its demise.
- 1. Gadsden Purchase secures route for a transcontinental railway.
- 2. US opens trade with Japan
- 3. President Pierce and southern Democrats favor annexation(attachment) of Cuba
*Kansas-Nebraska Act, 1854
- *1. Popular sovereignty to determine if free or slave state - Created anti-slavery majority
- 2. Destroys Whig party
- 3. Proposed by Senator Stephen Douglas
- 4. Repeal(Recall) Missouri Compromise
- 5. Leads to "Bleeding Kansas" and split the Democratic Party.
Republican Party is formed in 1854
*1. Anti-Slavery, but only stops from spreading.
Sumner-Brooks Encounter, May 22, 1856
1. Preston Brooks attacks Senator Charles Sumner
1865 Presidential Election
1. James Buchanan, a northern democrat, defeats Republican John C. Fremont of California.
*1. Pro-slavery by not being stated in constitution.
Dred Scott Decision, 1857
*1. Pro slavery ANYWHERE
Panic of 1857
- 1. California Gold leads to inflation
- 2. Led to false sense of economic security
1860 Presidential Election
In response, SEVEN states leave from the Union.
New Constitution still ____________ ______________
Compromise of 1820
- 1. Balanced slave states with free states
- 2. Below the 36'30 line were slave states
Zachary Taylor is a _________ _________
Fugative Slave Law favors ___________
Northern Whigs are _______ _________ Whigs, but believe in ___________ ___________ ___________
Anti slavery; Strong Central Government
Douglad is pro _____________ _____________
* Republican Party
Expanded federal power
Robert E. Lee
Doesn't choose to command US Forces
What are the border states?
Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview