Causes of the Civil War
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Results of the Mexican-American War
- 1. Brought California and southwest into the Union.
- 2. Balance of free and slave states.
1848 Presidential Election
- 1. General Zachary Taylor wins the election
- 2. Slavery is a key issue
Compromise of 1850 prevents Civil War
*1. Fugitive Slave Law is strengthened. It forces everyone to assist the capture of slaves.
Uncle Tom's Cabin
- *1. Novel for Anti-Slavery persuation.
- 2. South gets defensive of the instituion.
- 3. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote this.
1852 Presidential Election
- 1. General Franklin Pierce, northern Democrat, wins the election espousing southern interests.
- 2. Slavery has split the Whig party leading to its demise.
- 1. Gadsden Purchase secures route for a transcontinental railway.
- 2. US opens trade with Japan
- 3. President Pierce and southern Democrats favor annexation(attachment) of Cuba
*Kansas-Nebraska Act, 1854
- *1. Popular sovereignty to determine if free or slave state - Created anti-slavery majority
- 2. Destroys Whig party
- 3. Proposed by Senator Stephen Douglas
- 4. Repeal(Recall) Missouri Compromise
- 5. Leads to "Bleeding Kansas" and split the Democratic Party.
Republican Party is formed in 1854
*1. Anti-Slavery, but only stops from spreading.
Sumner-Brooks Encounter, May 22, 1856
1. Preston Brooks attacks Senator Charles Sumner
1865 Presidential Election
1. James Buchanan, a northern democrat, defeats Republican John C. Fremont of California.
*1. Pro-slavery by not being stated in constitution.
Dred Scott Decision, 1857
*1. Pro slavery ANYWHERE
Panic of 1857
- 1. California Gold leads to inflation
- 2. Led to false sense of economic security
1860 Presidential Election
In response, SEVEN states leave from the Union.
New Constitution still ____________ ______________
Compromise of 1820
- 1. Balanced slave states with free states
- 2. Below the 36'30 line were slave states
Zachary Taylor is a _________ _________
Fugative Slave Law favors ___________
Northern Whigs are _______ _________ Whigs, but believe in ___________ ___________ ___________
Anti slavery; Strong Central Government
Douglad is pro _____________ _____________
* Republican Party
Expanded federal power
Robert E. Lee
Doesn't choose to command US Forces
What are the border states?
Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview