Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 constitutional qualifications for presidency.
- 1. 35+ years old
- 2. native born
- 3. resident for 14 years
Implied qualificaations for presidency.
- 1. wealthy. well-known
- 2. political / military experience
- 3. religion (Protestant)
- 4. college educated
- 5. family man
- 6. electable, relatable
- 7. charismaatic speaker
- 8. white man
What system is used to elect president?
Electoral College system
___votes needed out of ___
Define primary election.
people go to polls to vote for candidate of their chioce
people come together at a meeting place to discuss candidates and then choose who they will support in the upcoming election
- Left=liberal(believes that gov. must take action to change what is unfair)
- Right=conservative(seeks to conserve the society as it is today)
List the 6 functions of Political Parties.
- 1. recruiting/nominating candidates(choosing them , presenting them to voters, and helping them win)
- 2. educating the public(inspire and activate interest of people to their own advantage)
- 3. operating the government(provide channels thru which legislative and executive branches can work together)
- 4. dispensing patronage(giving jobs to friends and supporters)
- 5. Acting as "loyal opposition"(opposed to party in power but loyal to people and nation)
- 6. reduction of conflict
List the 7 propaganda techniques.
- 1. glittering generalities(make themselves appear better "fair" "just")
- 2. symbols
- 3. testimonials(supporting statements from celebrities or athletes)
- 4. bandwagon(urge people to follow the crowd)
- 5. plain folks approach- propagandist pretends to be one of the common people
What is an executive order?
An order passed by the president, that has the weight of a law, but does not need congressional approval
List the 7 roles of the president.
- 1. Head of State( no real business, symbol of america, ceremonial roles)
- 2. Chief Executive(enforces laws, executive orders, in charge of employees)
- 3. Chief Legislator(approve/veto bills, solving key problems facing the country, annual message to Congress)
- 4. Economic Planner(annual economic report to Congress, budget recommendations)
- 5. Party Leader(helps plan future strategies for election, provides leadership for political party)
- 6. Chief Diplomat(Talking to leaders from other countries)
- 7. Commander in Chief(commander of armed forces of US, key military decisions, power to make war shared w/Congress)
List the 15 executive departments and provide an example of each.
- 1. state-advises president, negotiates agreements, represents US(foreign service)
- 2. treasury-makes/ borrows$, collects taxes, manages public debt(US mint)
- 3. defense-protect nations security, deter war(army,navy, air force)
- 4. justice-enforces laws, operates prison, prosecution, legal advice,represents US in court(FBI)
- 5. interior-helps native americans, manages parks, refugees,& land , operates hydroelectric power plants(national park service)
- 6. agriculture-manages national forests,inspects food, helps farmers/ranchers, food stamps, school lunch(forest service)
- 7. Commerce-census, patents, trademarks, trade, economic growth, tech. development(bureau of census)
- 8. Labor-enforces laws on min. wage, max. hours, compensation, insurance, job training(Bureau of labor statistics)
- 9.Health&Human Services-medicare, medicaid, funds health care research, enforces food and drug laws(FDA)
- 10.Housing&Urban Development-home financing, public housing, enforces fair housing laws(office of housing)
- 11. Transportation- prgrams to promote®ulate highways, mass transit, railroad, waterways, air travel, oil&gas pipelines(Federal highway administration)
- 12. Energy-production of renewable energy&fossil fuels&nuclear energy, transmit/sell heydroelectric power, nuclear weapon research(office of energy effieciency and renewable energy)
- 13. Education-federal aid to schools, educational research(office of elementary and secondary education)
- 14. Veterans affairs-benefits,pensions,&medical programs for veterans of army, military cemeteries(Veterans Health Administration)
- 15. Homeland Security-border&transporation security, chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear defense, emergency preparedness&response(Coast Guard)
State Executive Department.
- -grant pardons&reprieves
- -administer programs
- -appoints state jugdes
- -proposes new laws
- -enforces laws