Unit 3:Executive Branch
Card Set Information
Unit 3:Executive Branch
3 constitutional qualifications for presidency.
1. 35+ years old
2. native born
3. resident for 14 years
Implied qualificaations for presidency.
1. wealthy. well-known
2. political / military experience
3. religion (Protestant)
4. college educated
5. family man
6. electable, relatable
7. charismaatic speaker
8. white man
What system is used to elect president?
Electoral College system
___votes needed out of ___
Define primary election.
people go to polls to vote for candidate of their chioce
people come together at a meeting place to discuss candidates and then choose who they will support in the upcoming election
Left=liberal(believes that gov. must take action to change what is unfair)
Right=conservative(seeks to conserve the society as it is today)
List the 6 functions of Political Parties.
1. recruiting/nominating candidates(choosing them , presenting them to voters, and helping them win)
2. educating the public(inspire and activate interest of people to their own advantage)
3. operating the government(provide channels thru which legislative and executive branches can work together)
4. dispensing patronage(giving jobs to friends and supporters)
5. Acting as "loyal opposition"(opposed to party in power but loyal to people and nation)
6. reduction of conflict
List the 7 propaganda techniques.
1. glittering generalities(make themselves appear better "fair" "just")
3. testimonials(supporting statements from celebrities or athletes)
4. bandwagon(urge people to follow the crowd)
5. plain folks approach- propagandist pretends to be one of the common people
What is an executive order?
An order passed by the president, that has the weight of a law, but does not need congressional approval
List the 7 roles of the president.
1. Head of State( no real business, symbol of america, ceremonial roles)
2. Chief Executive(enforces laws, executive orders, in charge of employees)
3. Chief Legislator(approve/veto bills, solving key problems facing the country, annual message to Congress)
4. Economic Planner(annual economic report to Congress, budget recommendations)
5. Party Leader(helps plan future strategies for election, provides leadership for political party)
6. Chief Diplomat(Talking to leaders from other countries)
7. Commander in Chief(commander of armed forces of US, key military decisions, power to make war shared w/Congress)
List the 15 executive departments and provide an example of each.
1. state-advises president, negotiates agreements, represents US(foreign service)
2. treasury-makes/ borrows$, collects taxes, manages public debt(US mint)
3. defense-protect nations security, deter war(army,navy, air force)
4. justice-enforces laws, operates prison, prosecution, legal advice,represents US in court(FBI)
5. interior-helps native americans, manages parks, refugees,& land , operates hydroelectric power plants(national park service)
6. agriculture-manages national forests,inspects food, helps farmers/ranchers, food stamps, school lunch(forest service)
7. Commerce-census, patents, trademarks, trade, economic growth, tech. development(bureau of census)
8. Labor-enforces laws on min. wage, max. hours, compensation, insurance, job training(Bureau of labor statistics)
9.Health&Human Services-medicare, medicaid, funds health care research, enforces food and drug laws(FDA)
10.Housing&Urban Development-home financing, public housing, enforces fair housing laws(office of housing)
11. Transportation- prgrams to promote®ulate highways, mass transit, railroad, waterways, air travel, oil&gas pipelines(Federal highway administration)
12. Energy-production of renewable energy&fossil fuels&nuclear energy, transmit/sell heydroelectric power, nuclear weapon research(office of energy effieciency and renewable energy)
13. Education-federal aid to schools, educational research(office of elementary and secondary education)
14. Veterans affairs-benefits,pensions,&medical programs for veterans of army, military cemeteries(Veterans Health Administration)
15. Homeland Security-border&transporation security, chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear defense, emergency preparedness&response(Coast Guard)
State Executive Department.
-appoints state jugdes
-proposes new laws