The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
critical thinking skills
the ability to understand the structure of an argument and apply a set of evaluative criteria to assess its merits.
a position or stance on an issue; the goal toward which reasoning moves.
an explanation or justification provided as support for a conclusion
eight steps to legal reasoning
- 1. What are the facts?
- 2. What is the issue?
- 3. What are the reasons and conclusion?
- 4. What are the relevant rules of law?
- 5. Does the legal argument contain significant ambiguity?
- 6. What ethical norms are fundamental to
- the court's reasoning?
- 7. How appropriate are the legal analogies?
- 8. Is there relevant missing information?
Susceptible to two or more possible interpretations.
a standard of conduct
standards of conduct that we consider good or virtuous.
primary ethical norms
the four norms that provide the major ethical direction for the laws governing business behavior: freedom, stability, justice, and efficiency.
a comparison based on the assumption that if two things are alike in some respect, they must be alike in other respects.