theory chapter ten
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the objectives of the extraoral exam?
- observe overall pt for big things
- screen each pt for lesions, anc check blood pressure
- check for communicable diseases or reasons for a need to postpone appointment
- recognize initial lesions early
- identify deviations from normal and note it
- provide a means of comarison over several apointments
- provide information for continuing redords of the pts diagnosis and treatment plan
- cancer detection
What should you do to adequately prepare for the examination?
- check pt health history
- examine radiographs
- explain procedure to the pt
- make sure the pt is ok with you performing the extra oral exam
Looking at the patient and seeing if they are in pain, from first glance. Pt position, optimum lightigh, and effective retractio for accessibility and visibility contribute to the accuracy and completeness of the examination
use of a single finger. Example = index finger applied to inner border of the mandible beneath the canine - premolar area to determine the presence of a torus mandibularis
use of finger and thumb of the same hand. Example = palpation of the lips
use of finger or fingers and thumb from each hand applied simultaneously in coordination. Example =index finger of one hand palpates on the floor of the mough inside, while a finger or fingers from the other hand press on the same area from under the chin externally
the two hands are used at the same time to examine corresponding structures on opposite sides of the body. Comparisons may be made. Example = fingers placed beneath the chin to palpate the submandibular lymph nodes
What are the advantages of following a a routine order for examination?
- minimal possibility of overlooking an area and missing details of importance
- increased efficiency and conservation of time
- maintenance of a professional atmosphere, which inspires the patient's confidence
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview