Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How are magnets made?
Natural magnets: rocks containing iron naturally magnetic
Temporary magnets: uses soft iron, made by stroking with a magnet OR wrapping with a wire (electromagnet)
Permanent magnet: uses hard iron, made by stroking with a magnet a lot OR holding it really close to a strong magnet (electromagnet)
What makes something magnetic?
by making the domains the same direction by stroking
What are field lines?
imaginary lines that show the magnet's attractive power
Describe the connection between electricity and magnetism
when electricity flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire
What effect does a magnet have on a compass?
It changes the direction from pole north
What effect does a current flowing through a wire have on a compass?
Makes the needle run parallel to the wire when an electric current is passing through it
What are some of the variables that affect electromagnets?
- number of coils
- length of wire
- type of wire
- number of batteries
- power in solution
- nail or bolt length
- closeness of wire
- overlapping of wire
- type of bolt
How can you be sure that you are only testing ONE variable at a time while testing your electromagnet?
just change one at a time
Give a description of the electric motor built in class and what made it spin. (part 1&2)
- 1. when the bare side of the arms touch the paperclips, electricity flows through the coil
- 2. the coil becomes magnetized - it is repelled by the magnets below it
Give a description of the electric motor built in class and what made it spin. (part 3&4)
- 3. As the coil is repelled, it flips away from the magnets
- 4. whent he coil flips, the insulated side at the arms touch the paperclips - electricity can't flow through the coil and it stops being magnetized
Give a description of the electric motor built in class and what made it spin. (part 4&5)
- 5. The coil is no longer repelled by the magnets. It "falls over" back to its original position.
- 6. The bare sides of the arms touch the paperclips again and the cycle restarts.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview