American Experience:Inmperialism and progressives
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Belief that the US is better than other countries/peoples
Why did we want to expand in terms of economics?
needed new economic markets
Signifigance of war in Phillipines?
Denied Filopinos their freedom after granting just that to the Cubans
What happened in Galveston?
new, uncorrupt government set up in Galveston after a hurricane
people were allowed to select who the candidates will be
allowed citizens to introduce a bill to the legislature
established a procedure by which voters cast ballots for/against proposed laws
gave citizens the chance to remove officials from office
Carrie Chapman Catt
- Women's Suffrage Leader
- Campained for 19th amendment
- President of National American Women Sufferage Association (NAWSA)
- Founder of League of Women Voters (LWV)
- Informed women about birth control
- Arrested several times because of violation of Comstock Act
- Restricting Alcohol
- Led WCTUC to stop alcohol abuse
- Slogan: Do everything
Who was La Follette?
progressive govener of Wisconson
What is the importance of Muller vs Oregon?
courts began to consider the influence of laws on normal people's lives
- wanted to help poor
- opened Hull House
wrote book about scociology
- famous muckraker
- exposed problems of Standard Oil Company
- advocate against child labor
- opened settlement houses
Ida B Wells
- Advocate against lynching
- wrote articles, made speeches and investigations
sophisticated organization to win votes
Example of a political machine?
Tammany Hall in NYC
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview