Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Cholesterol is a precursor for what three components?
- Cell membrane
- Vitamin D
- Steroid hormones
What are the three methods of cholesterol influx?
- extrahepatic synthesis
- de novo synthesis
What are the 3 methods for cholesterol excretion?
- Bile salts/acids
- free cholesterol in bile
What are the two methods in activating the RLE, HMG CoA Reductase?
What are the two jobs on intestinal flora on bile salts?
- Deconjugate = back to bile acids (cholic, chenodeoxycholic)
- Dehydroxylate = secondary bile acids (deoxycholic, litholic)
What are the two conjugates added to bile acids to form bile salts?
- Glycine = glycocholic acid
- Taurine = taurochenodeoxycholic acid
What percentage of bile salts secreted into the intestine are reabsorbed as mixed bile salts/acids?
What is the job of a resin during cholsterol control?
to block reabsorption of bile salts so the liver has to use more cholesterol to synthesize more bile salts for use
What is cholelithiasis?
- Gallstones from cholesterol deposition
- not enough bile acids to help solubilize the bile salts, overproduction of bile salts, too much cholesterol
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview