GRE Kaplan 200 Flashcards
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Since he had been a steady, cheer ful worker for many years, his fellow postal workers did not expect his ______ burst of rage
- Aberrant: deviating from what is normal or expected.
- Aberration: A deviation from what is normal
The submarine dove into the ______ to chart the previously unseen depths.
- Abyss: an extremely deep hole.
- Abyssal: Pertaining to great depth
- Abysmal: Extremely bad.
During Lent, practicing Catholics _____ from eating meat.
: to choose not to do something
The vegetarian _____ a diet containing no meat.
- Advocate: to speak in favor of.
- Advocacy: active support for
As the hurricane's force ______, the winds dropped and the sea became calm.
: to reduce in amount, degree, or severity
- let up
The patron _____ from the restaurant without paying his bill by sneaking out the back door.
: to leave secretly
The restaurateur made his ketchup last longer by _____ it with water
- Adulterate: to make impure.
- Unadulterated: Pure.
- Adultery: An illicit relationship; an affair.
The supervisor sought to _____ himself by claiming that the achievements of his staff were actually his own.
: to increase in power, influence and reputation
The _____ Movement regarded the pursuit
of beauty to be the only true purpose of art.
- Aesthetic: concerning the appreciation of beauty
- Aesthete: Someone unusually sensitive to beauty
- Aestheticism : Devoted to beauty
Taking aspirin helps to _____ a headache.
: to make more bearable
The restaurant won a reputation for fine service since the wait staff responded to their clients' requests with _____.
: speed or quickness
The directions he gave were so _____
that we disagreed on which way to turn.
: doubtful or uncertain, can be interp reted several ways.
Giant Industries _____ with Mega Products to form Giant-MegaProducts Incorporated.
- Amalgamate: to combine, to mix together
- Amalgam: a mixture, especially of two metals.
The aged hippie used _____ phrases like 'groovy' and 'far out' that had not been popular for years .
- Anachronism: something out of place in time.
The doctor was able to _____ the
patient's suffering using pain-killers .
Ameliorate: to make better; to improve
Albino animals may display too great an _____
in their coloring to attract normally colored mates
- Anomaly: deviation from what is normal.
- Anomalous: Deviating from what is normal
His mother argued that not going to college
was _____ to throwing his life away.
- Analogous: similar or alike in some way; equivalent to
- Analogy: a similarity between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
- Analogue: something that is similar in some way to something else.
The _____ between the French and the
English regularly erupted into open warfare.
: extreme dislike
The child discovered that he could _____ the cat by pulling its tail.
- Antagonize: to annoy or provoke to anger
- Antagonistic : tending to provoke conflict
- Antagonist: someone who fights another
There is no hard or authoritative evidence to support the _____ tales that link the Roswell, New Mexico, incident to a downed V.F.O.
: of questionable authority or authenticity.
The _____ of voters is so great that less than half the people who are eligible to vote actually bother to do so.
: Lack of interest or emotion.
When you lack the information to judge what to do next, you will be forced to make an _____ decision.
: determined by chance or impulse
The _____ that Jerry Lewis received in
France included a medal from the Ministry of Culture.
- Approbation: approval and praise
- Approbate: to authorize.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview