The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Sensory (afferent) neurons convey info _____ the CNS. Motor (efferent) neurons convey info _____ the CNS.
what does the somatic nervous system innervates?
- skeletal muscles
- body surfaces
visceral nervous system innervates....
organs/glands/vessles containing smooth or cardiac muscle
Motor systems have anatomically ______ sets of neurons innervating somatic and visceral structures.
somatic refers to...
the body surface and/or musculoskeletal structures
Describe the motor systems:
2. somatic motor system relates to ?
3. autonomic (visceral) motor system relates to?
- Motor (efferent)
- 1. anatomicially distinct sets of neurons
- 2. relates to the innervation of the skeletal muscle
- 3. relates to the innervation of smooth or cardica muscle
Describe the sensory systems:
2. relates to somatic sensations?
3. relates to visceral sensations?
- = afferent systems
- 1. overlapping sets of neurons
- 2. well localized
- 3. poorly localized
composition of PNS
- rami of spinal nerves
- spinal nerves
- peripheral nerves
- ganglia (collection of cell body outside of CNS)
axons and dendrites
What are lower motor neurons?
final common cellular pathway for transmitting nervous system information from many CNS structures to skeletal muscles
what are primary sensory neurons?
cells that convey sensory (afferent) information from the periphery to the CNS
"supportive cells" = glia of the nervous system include:
- astrocytes: star shaped, located between capillaries and neurons to form blood/brain barrier
- oligodentrocytes (myelin forming cells in CNS)
- microglia: phagocytes (CNS immune system)
- Schwann cells: myelin forming cells in PNS
what are the general functions of the spinal cord?
- 1. motor functions: innervation of the majority of the skeletal muscles of the neck, trunk, and extremities
- 2. sensory functions: relays and/or processes the majority of sensory information related to the neck, trunk, and extremities
- 3. reflex functions: integration of a number of segmental and intersegmental reflexes involving 2 or more neurons