Pulmonary Edema Due to Congestive Heart Failure
- Consider Capnography
- Apply Early CPAP for an alert patient who is able to maintain a patient airway but is, or continues to be, in moderate to severe respiratory distress
- IV must be established prior to NTG administration for patients not currently prescribed and taking NTG.
- Administer 0.4 mg NTG SL. Repeat at 0.8 mg NTG q3-5". If SBP < 120 mmHg DC NTG until > 120 mmHg.
- Apply 1" NTG paste if SBP > 120 mmHg.
- -- If no improvement pt on Lasix, consider up to pt's total daily dose (max 100mg). Withhold if SBP < 120 mmHg.
- -- Contact MC to admin doses > 100 mg IV or if pt not on Lasix
- -- If daily dose of Lasix unknown, admin 40 mg Lasix IV
- Perform and interpret 12 lead EKG