Introduction to Biotechnology
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is recombinant DNA?
It is created when two pieces of DNA are joined together to form a new DNA molecule
What is a restriction enzyme?
It is used to cut DNA at a specific site
What do restriction enzymes generate?
- Sticky or Blunt ends- for cloning
- Fragmented DNA- can be used for profiling
What does a DNA ligase do?
Seals DNA into an opening created by the restrictions enzyme
What is the Southern Blot used for?
Technique to see specific polymorphic DNA fragments.
What is the Northern Blot
The transfer of RNA into nylon membrane (measure quality and quantity)
What is a vector?
DNA delivery vehicles
What are some types of vectors?
- Eukaryotic Vector
- Yeast artificial chromosome (YAC)
- Bacterial Artificial chromosome (BAC)
What are Mammalian cell vectors?
- Simian virus 40 (SV40)
What is cell transformation?
- A process of cloning the recombinant DNA by putting into host cell such as
- -Eukaryotic cells
- cloning a Human Gene
How is Polymerase Chain Reaction used?
to amplify or increase DNA molecules invitro
What is needed for PCR?
- Template (what you want to amplify)
- Sequence-specific primers
- MgCl (enzyme cofactor)
- Taq Polymerase
What are the steps in DNA amplification?
- Denaturation- Separate DNA strands
- Annealing- binding of primers to templet DNA
- Extension- A new DNA strand created
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview