Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what was the Sherman antitrust act supposed to prevent
- ·Tried to make monopolies illegal
- ·Didn’t work
what were some of the new inventions and innovations which came out during the late 19th century
- ·Electric Light Bulb- Thomas Edison (Has the most patents to his name)
- ·Telephone- Alexander Gram Bell
- ·Boxed Cereal
- ·Electric Dynamo
when did the US census bureau say the frontier was closed
what did the pacific railroad act do
- ·Congress thought the west could only be civilized by a transcontinental railroad.
- ·Offered incentives to any company that would help build the railroad.
- ·They offered subsidies. (Government pays for construction)
- ·Free Land
how did the federal government encourage people to move west
- ·The Homestead Act
- ·If you settle on an unclaimed piece of land and stay for seven years, it is yours free (up to 160 Acres)
why did people move to the west
·Young soldiers wanted to take advantage of the homestead act this after the civil war.
- ·Joseph Glidon- Invented Barbed Wire
- ·This changes the west by fencing off property instead of using free range cattle ranching.
what happened to Johnson in 1868 that had never happened to a president before
- ·he purposely broke one of the laws that limited his authority
- ·congress impeached him in spring of 1868
what were carpetbaggers
- they were republicans elected by the blacks of the south
- these men moved down to the north so that the blacks would elect them
how did the south react
·they hated this so congress made blacks able to vote by passing th 15th amendment
what did the first reconstruction act do
·Divided the former Confederacy into 5 military districts, each to be occupied by federal troops.
what did the 14th amendment do
- ·Born in US you are a citizen regardless of race. (Undoes Dred Scott)
- ·Forbids state rights to treat their citizens unequally. (Makes the Black Codes unconstitutional)
- ·South is stripped of it’s leadership
what was the effect of the congressional override of Johnsons veto of the civil act?
Congress took control of the government away from Johnson
what were the black codes
- ·Required a majority of Southern Voters to take a loyalty oath.
- ·Lincoln vetoes the bill.
what was Johnson plan for reconstruction
- ·He thought the south should come back into the union without any punishments
- ·He believed the states should be able to run themselves
what was lincolns plan for reconstruction
- ·The 10% plan
- ·In order for a southern state to get back its rights it must:
- ·Admit that slavery is over.
- ·Get 10% of its registered voters to take a loyalty oath to the United States.
what was arguably the most essential business of the late 19th century
how well did the US economy grow in the second half the 19th century
major industrial revolution
what was the wild west really like
not as wild
what ended reconstruction
the compromise of 1877
what were reconstruction success
- racial equality social equality
- private property is the most precious thing
- west wasn’t so wild most westerners were farmers NYC in 1880’s was more dangerous than the western frontier
what were reconstructions failings
how did the plains tribes of native Americans react to westward immigration
reservation policy designated land for native Americans and if you stay us gov will supply you. When you they leave the reservation they fight with the US army
what determined the outcome of the indian wars
extinction of buffalo
what did the Dawes severalty act do
changed natives lives tribes were illegal but us would give them land if they behave
did Dawes Severalty have a positive or negative effect on native American
why did the economy grow in the second half of the 19th century
it was possible for the Govt to abstract
did this result in everybody getting rich
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview