The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a physical examination technique consisting of a systematic inspection of the oral structures
When detected at early stages, oral cancer has a/an_________survival rate
How many of oral cancers are diagnosed in the early stage at present?
true or false. It is necessary to take a history of each patient's tobacco and alcohol use?
oral cancer is the_______________deadliest cancer in the united states.
of the oral structures, which is the one with the highest incident site of oral cancer?
At what age does the incident of oral cancer risk peak?
true or false. Men are 2 times more likely to develop oral cancer than women?
true or false. Exposure to sunlight is a risk factor for lip cancer?
name 8 symptoms our pts may complain of that could indicate oral cancer
- lump or thickening
- numbness in tongue or other areas
- something caught in throat or hoarseness
- difficulty chewing or swallowing
- ear pain
- difficulty moving jaw or tongue
- swelling of jaw that causes dentures to fit poorly
list the 7 sub groups that need to be checked in an intraoral exam
- lips and vermillion border
- oral cavity and mucosal surface
- underlying structures of lips and cheeks
- floor of mouth
- salivary gland function
- palatal tonsils and oropharynx
What position should pt be in when doing an intraoral examination?
What is the equipment needed for an intraoral examination?
- protective eye wear for pt and clinician
- 2x2 gauze
- cotton tip applicator
- dental mirror
Noteable findings of lips and vermillion border
- change in shape or texture
- chapped or cracked lips
- pigment changes or variation in color
- lip pits
- irregular vermillion border
- lips that don't meet at rest
- herpetic lesions
- soft tissue lesions
- asymmetrical mouth
noteable findings of mucosal surfaces
- change in color or texture
- pale, reddened, or dry mucosa
- linea alba
What technique is used to examine the lips?
Noteable findings of underlying structures of lips and cheeks
- swellings or nodules
- changes in texture
- tenderness upon palpation
Noteable findings in the floor of mouth
- change in color or texture
- lesions or other surface abnormalities
- swelling, especially unilateral
- swelling due to salivary calculi or stones
- palpate for hard areas or discomfort
palpation technique for floor of mouth
Why is it helpful to use a damp 2x2 gauze for inspecting the tongue and floor of mouth?
so the tongue won't slip, and wet the gauze so it doesn't stick to their tongue
What are noteable findings of the salivary gland function?
- swellings in the floor of mouth from blocked saliva glands or ducts or trauma
- xerostomia (dry mouth)
What are noteable findings of the tongue?
- lesions or swellings
- nodules detectable upon palpation
- variation in size, color, or texture
- accumulated food debris may produce inflammation or bad smell
- asymmetrical shape
- dry mouth
- papillae absent
- fissured or pebbly dorsal surface
- black hairy tongue with some antibiotics
noteable findings of the palate
- cleft palate
- changes in color
- changes in texture common in smokers
- tobacco chewers patch
noteable findings of tonsils
- inflamed tonsils
- enlarged tonsils
- areas of pus evident
noteable findings of oropharynx
- markedly reddened and inflammed
- sore throat
- discomfort when swallowing or eating
noteable findings of uvula
deviates from midline
easy to see where lesion begins and ends
difficult to see where lesion begins and ends
border not uniform
types of lesion patterns
- single or multiple
flat dicolored spot, less than 1 cm in size
flat discolored spot larger than 1 cm in size
solid raised lesion, less than 1 cm in size
superficial raised lesion, larger than 1 cm in diameter
marble-like lesion, larger than 1 cm in diameter
localized area of skin edema
small blister filled with clear fluid less than 1 cm in size
larger fluid filled lesion larger than 1 cm in diameter
small raised lesion filled with pus
loss of top layer of skin of mucosa
craterlike lesion where top 2 layers of skin or mucosa are lost