Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Charateristics of a good speech topic
- Importance to the Speaker
- Interest to the Audience
- Worthy of Listeners' Time
- Appropriateness of Scope
- Appropriatness for Oral Delivery
- Appropriatness to the Rhetorical Situation
- What Public Issues do I care about?
- Which of my expierances might be generalized?
- Which of my interests overlap with those of the audience?
Mental exercise in which yo identify the things that come first to mind.
- An Identification of the objectives to be sought in a speech and the means for achieving them
- Identify the purpose
- Identify the constraints
- Identify the provided oppertunities
7 common speech purposes
- 1. Providing new information or perspective
- 2. Agenda setting
- 3. Creating positive or negative feeling
- 4. Strengthening commitment
- 5. Weaking commitment
- 6. Converstion
- 7. Inducing a specific action
Constraints of a speech
- Audiences in general
- Your specific Audience Analysis
- Your ethos as a speaker
- The nature of your topic
- The rhetorical situation
Opportunities for a Speech
- Information advatage
- Audience Analysis tells the composition and attitudes
Specific Purpose Statement
- Focses on the outcome by specifying what you want to achieve.
- Focuses on the Audience
- Summarizes a single idea
- Precise and free of vague language
- A succint statement of the overall ideaor claim made by the speech.
- Defines what you want to put in to it.
Basic Research goals
- 1. To develop or strengthen your own expertise on the topic
- 2. To find the evidence that will support your ideas
- 3. to make your ideas clear, understandable, and pertinent to your audience
- Brief Example
- Hypothetical Situation
- Case Study
Primary source that can directly establish the claim
Supplementing the tools
- 1. Going to library because many are not online
- 2. Open stakcs allows for browsing
- 3. Digital Materials protected by a password
Calculating the quality of internet acces
- Does the site meet the basic standards of credibility?
- Who set up the website?
- What are the sources credention?
- What is the purpose of the website?
- Does the content appear to reflect scholarship?
- Can you confirm it?
- When was the site lat updated?
Why organization is important.
- Recall- audience is better able to remember
- Active Listening- engages listeners
- Personal Satifaction- make the listeners feel better
Criteria for selecting a main idea
- Is this idea essential?
- Can Several ideas be combined?
Charateristics of main ideas.
- Parallel Structure
Patterns for arrangement
- Comparison and contrast
organinzing by the passage of time
arranges according to place or position
Arrangement by elimination
Purposes for outlining
- Insure adequate coverage
- clarify and choose best organizational pattern
- check your organizational pattern
- become familiar with the claims you want to make
- Complete sentences
- match structure
- key words
- intro, conclu, trans
Benefits of VAs
- Make the speech more interesting
- Enhance the speakers credibility
- Improve comprehension and retention
- Advance an arguement
Types of VAs
- Objects and Models
Choosing visual aids
- VAs make a complicated topic more simple
- Add interest
- words alone cant capture the idea
- stimulates memory
Factors of decorm
- Supporting material
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview