Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- -The administration of medication to clients reguires knowledge and sets skill that are unique to the nurse.
- -The nurse first assesses that the med ordered is the ccorrect med.
- -assesses the client's ability to self administer meds.
- -determine whether a client should recieve a med at a given time.
- -administer the med correctly and monitor the effects of prescribed medications.
- -educate client and familty about proper med administration and monitor.
- -do not delagate any part of the med administration process to assistive personnel.
- -use the nursing process to intergrate medication therapy into care
Pharmacist role 2
- Distribution system- system for storing and distributing med vary.
- -Pharmacist provide and nurses distribute meds to clients. There are special med rooms, portable locked carts, computerized med cabinets and individual storage units.
Unit dose System- carts contianing a drawer with 24 hour supply of med for each client reduces the number of med errors and saves steps in dispensing of all meds.
Automated medication dispensing system- control the dispensing of all meds including narcotics security code, bio indentification, reduces errors.
- - Pharmacist prepare and distributes prescribed meds. Pharmacist work with nurses, physicians and other health care providers to evalute the efficacy of medications.
- -Pharmacists are responisble for filling prescriptions accuratley and for being sure prescriptions are valid.
- - In a health care setting /agency pharm. rarley has to mix compounds or solutions,except in the case of IV solutions.
- -Dispensing the correct medication in the proper dosage and amount with accurate label is the main task.
- -include information about med side effects, toxicity, interactions and incompatabilites.
Types of medication orders
- standing order-days elapse/cancel
- PRN order- med as needed
- Single order-for preoperative situations
- STAT order- immediatley and only once.
- Now Order- quickly but not right away, 90min.
- prescriptions -med outside the hospital/in detail.
The prescriber's role 2
- Verbal/telephone orders;
- -The nurse who took the order writes the complete order or enters in computer and then reads it back and recieves comfirmation form the prescriber to confirm accuracy.
- -The nurse writes the; Time, Name of prescriber,signs the order and follow agency policy to indicate order was read back, the prescriber countersigns the order at a later time with in 24 hours when the order was taken.
The prescriber's role
physcicians, Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant prescribe medication.
- -Writing a medication order on a form in clients record, orderbook,legal prescription pad.
- -prescribers must document the diagnosis, condition, or need for use for each med ordered.
- -hospitals are implementing computerized physician order entry to handle med orders to decrease errors.
- -prescriber completes all computerized fields before the order, the med is filled thus avoiding incomplete ir illegible orders.
Describe the factors to consider when choosing routes of administration.
- 1. The route prescribed for administering a medication depends on the medication's properties and disired effect on the client's physical, mental condition.
- 2. Work with a prescriber in determinig the best route for a client's medication
Examine the nurses role and responsability in med administration?
- 1. Nurse is responsible for evaluating the effects of medication on the client's health status.
- 2. Teaching the clients about their medications and their side effects ensuring adherence with the medicationregimen.
- 3.Evaluating the client's ability to self administer medications.
- 4.In some cases nurses direct teaching and evaluating towards family member who helps with medication administration.