- Make Filling: (Prepare at least 2 hours or up to 1 day in advance.)
- 1. Whisk together 1/4 cup milk with cornstarch until smooth. Add 3 egg yolks and whisk until blended. Set aside.
2. Combine remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup granulated sugar in small heavy saucepot and heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk half of milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Return mixture to pan. Heat to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute, whisking constantly until slightly thickened.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Transfer filling to a covered container and refrigerate for several hours until thickened and completely cool.
- Make Cupcakes:
- 1. Position oven rack in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or grease muffin cups and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour; tapping out excess.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; set aside.
3. Place 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar in small bowl. Scrape out vanilla bean seeds into sugar with a small knife. Mix to distribute seeds in sugar; set aside.
4. In medium bowl beat butter and sugar mixture with electric mixer at medium-high speed about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 6 egg yolks, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions. Beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
5. Reserve about 2 cups batter. Spoon remaining batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Make a slight well in center of each filled muffin cup using the back of a teaspoon. Add about 2 tablespoons custard filling over each filled muffin cup using a pastry bag or small ice cream scoop. Completely cover filling with reserved batter.
6. Bake cupcakes in two batches, for 22 to 24 minutes or until tops are golden brown and set. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Make Frosting:
- 1. In small saucepot, add cream and heat to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted and set aside.
2. Using small angled spatula spread about 2 tablespoons frosting in an even layer over top of each cupcake. Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes to set frosting. Serve at room temperature.
Yield: 12 large cupcakes