Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Subside, moderate, put an end to
- (Intensify, increase, augment)
- To make or become less intense
- Abnormal, deviant
- (Normal, usual)
- departing from the right, normal, or usual course
- Waiting, suspension
- (Ongoing action, continuance)
- Suspended action
- Restrained, sober
- (Unrestrained, intemperate, immoderate)
- Restrained behavior or appetite
- To debase or make impure.
- Make impure by adding substances
N, V [ag-ri-geyt]
- Sum total; gross amount; whole mass.
- (individual unit; isolated element)
- Taken in the aggregate.
- Promptness; cheerful willingness.
- (reluctance; apathy; listlessness)
- Accepting with alacrity.
- Combine; unite; merge.
- (separate; divide)
- Amalgamating several school into one
- Improve; make better.
- (worsen; aggravate)
- Ameliorating working conditions
- Chronologically out of place; out of its proper time.
- (historically appropriate)
- An anachronistic throwback.
- Deviation from the norm.
- (normal specimen)
- A bird that cannot fly is an anomaly.
- Intense dislike.
- (sympathy; attraction)
- Natural antipathy of cats and dogs.
- Invented rather than true.
- Wildly apocryphal rumors.
- One who abandons his religious faith.
- Treacherous apostate.
- Inform; notify.
- (withhold information)
- Keep me apprised of the situation.
- Approval; good opinion.
- (disapprobation; disapproval)
- One who practices self-denial.
- (one who given to self-indulgence)
- A self-denial ascetic.
- Harshness of manner; roughness of surface.
- Ill-humored asperity.
- Abusive attack; comment.
- (complimentary remark)
- An assiduous student.
- easy or lessen pain; satisfy hunger.
- assuaging grief
adj, n [uh-strin-juhnt]
- bitter in taste; harshly biting.
- (gentle; mild in taste)
- The astringent quality of the unsweetened lemon juice.
- weaken or lessen in density, force, degree; become weak.
- (intensify; strengthen)
- Aspirin attenuating a fever's intensity.
- political or personal independence; freedom.
- Personal autonomy.
- declare; state formally as a fact.
- Avering the truth.
- evil; full of menacing; threatening harm.
- (good; helping)
- A baleful glance.
- common saying.
- (freshness; originally)
- The banality of cliches.
- (blessing; piece of good fortune)
- The bane of his existence.
- producing benefits.
- A beneficent donor.
- carefree; happy.
- (uptight; anxious)
- Blithe and carefree.
- support; reinforse
- (weaken; undermine)
- Bolstering an argument
- using inflated language; high-sounding.
- (simple and straightforward)
- someone who acts in a rude or insensitive way.
- (courteous person)
- allow; tolerate; accept
- (refuse to permit)
- The dean would brook no interference with his disciplinary actions.
- develop rapidly.
- The town burgeoned into a city.
- He burgeoned into a fine actor.
- to polish a surface by friction; to make smooth and bright.
- (make dull)
- unpleasant sounding.
- (pleasant-sounding; harmonious)
- As cacophonous as car alarms.
- verbal punishment; severe criticism.
- (strong approval)
- Severe public castigation.
- (inhibitor; anticatalyst)
- A catalyst for change.
- capable of burning; corroding; dissolve.
- (mild; soothing)
- Burned by caustic chemicals.
- trickery to deceive someone; fraud.
- He resorted to the worst flattery and chicanery to win the job.
- thicken; clot.
- (liquefy; dissolve)
- Blood coagulating.
- concluding section or speech; summarizes or concludes.
- (introduction; prelude)
- convincing; well-argued.
- (poorly reasoned; unsound)
- Cogent reasons.
- abequate; proportionate.
- (inappropriate; disproportionate)
- summary of a large work; a full list or inventory.
- (none found)
- A useful compendium of information.
- eager to please; overly polite.
- A complaisant Supreme Court.
- obeying; manufactured or produced in accordance with a specified body of rules.
- (resistant; noncompliant)
- Confuse; mix; puzzle.
- (clarify; distinguish)
- Confounding the experts.
- person competent to act as a judge of art.
- A connoisseur of fine wines.
- Claim or thesis.
- Data supporting the contention.
- deeply sorry.
- A contrite sinner.
- Riddle; puzzle.
- (explanation; solution)
- A puzzling conundrum.
- Come together; tend to meet.
- (diverge; deviate; branch off)
- Roads converging at an intersection.
- highly complex; coiled around.
- (straghtforward; uncomplicated)
- Twisted, convoluted logic.
adj, n [krey-vuhn]
- (brave; bold)
- Too craven to fight.
v [dawnt, dahnt]
- Frighten; intimidate.
- Nothing can daunt the Fearless Four.
- (praise; acclaim)
- Denigrating someone's efforts.
- dry up; dehydrate.
- (moisten; hydrate)
- Desiccated by the heat.
- aimless; unfocused.
- (methodical; assiduous)
- Random, desultory remarks.
- sharply abusive attack or criticism.