The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the opening verses of prufrock contains
inarticulate speech, contradictory to what his name suggests
in prufrock, the allusion to yellow fog references
fog filled with coal smoke in london that often killed people
he argues that literature in modern times allows for a widespread use, no longer based on royalty
the hollow men deals with the topics of
self-consciousness and identity
the epitapth to the hollow men references
guy fawkes and the straw man
how does eliot portray hell in the hollow men
the older notions of what heaven and hell are no longer working in the modern area. they represent the emptiness that we think are of value
the waste land was composed in
eliot's the waste land is often considered
one of eliot's nervous breakdowns
who saw the genius in the poem and decided to revise the waste land?
what magazine was the waste land first published in?
dial magazine, 1922
what was peculiar about eliot's the waste land
he included his own footnotes
what was the original title to the waste land?
he do the police in different voices
what was the original epitaph for the waste land?
"i want to die"
what are the names of the five sections of the waste land?
the burial of the dad, a game of chess, the fire sermon, death by water, what the thunder said
- -infantry officer who later wrote anti-war letter
- -was accussed of having shell shock or being treasonous
- -assistant to a vicar
- -shell shock
- -one week before the end of the war, he died
William Butler Yeats
- -called the national poem
- -irish Protestant
- -obsessed with maude gonne
- -the easter rising in ireland
- -stone and horse
- -too long a sacrifice can make a stone of heart
- -about maude gonne
- -we must labor to be beautiful
- -the curse of knowledge
- -son of a doctor and educator from york
- - sexual orientation and leftist leaning come into play
- -homosexuality "an open secret"
"the unknown citizen"
- -parody of the unknown soldier
- -modernist alienation
- -focused on material consumption
"september 1, 1939"
- -part of hitler's rise
- -"we must love one another or die"
"the shield of achilles"
- -homer and greek warfare
- -keats and beauty
- -wars of ideology
- -iron hearted, man slaying achilles
who are the founding foremothers of feminism
mary wollstonecraft, john stuart mill
how was mrs. dalloway a thought experiment
stream of consciousness and it considered the world of the subjunctive
- -married nora barnacle
- - lived in paris as an artist/ writer
- -ezra pound
- - alcoholism a large part of his life