chem chapter 5
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
kinetic molecular theory
- a way to visualize what the molecules are doing
- Ek = 1/2mv2 m = mass v=velocity
- *both affect the kinetic energy
- molecules (or atoms) of gases are continuously in motion
- always have NRG
the volume of gas molecules is negligible compared to the volume of the container
- the attractive and repulsive forces of gas molecules are negligible
- no affect on NRG transfer during a collision
- as long as the temperature remains constant, the average kinetic energy of the molecules is constant
- individual molecules can transfer NRG from one to another, but the average remains constant.
- the average kinetic energy is directly proportional to absolute temperature
- not dependent on the identity of gas
- all gases have the same average NRG at same temperature
pressure is a result of...
collisions of molecules with sides of container
increase V at constant T and n...
- # of collisions of molecs with the wall of container decreases
- volume goes up, pressure goes down P1V1 = P2V2
increase T at constant V and n...
- increase T
- increase average kinetic NRG
- increase # of collisions & speed of collisions
- overall...pressure goes up
- P1/T1 = P2/T2
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview