The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- belief that cant be seen/touched
- Ex. Consciousness
just below present awareness
- thoughts, info, desires where we have no true or direct knowledge
- Ex. Going upstairs but don't know why
- forces that control the body day and night
- Ex. Owls hunt at night
- Ex. In humans we lose energy toward summer
- humans are free running at birth
- Ex. Babies do their own thing until entrainment (training) takes place
- unseen biological clocks
- Ex. Humans have high pt. and low pt. within 24 hrs. and our temp. is controlled with 2 degrees naturally
- Ex. Plants open in AM and close in PM
- Ex. Humans dont follow the natural 25 hr. sleep/wake cycle. Due to entrainment, we adapt to the earth and the 24 hr light/dark cycle
- Ex. Not all species are the same
images and thoughts
takes about 90 min. to reach
shortest, 10 min.
longest, 30 min.
Length of Dream
as night progresses, REM increases
almost impossible to awaken someone
done during stage 4 NREM Sleep
1 Major theory why dream:
brain chemicals are replenished
are not remembered. They are too boring
are a random firing of neurons
Dreams are usually...
50% color, 50% B&W
- are more likely when we have missed REM sessions from:
- 1. Too much alcohol
- 2. Not enough sleep
an increase in dreams due to lack of sleep
is an "Incubus Attack" during NREM when the body isn't ready for it
75% in REM sleep
we walk and talk in our sleep
inability to get enough sleep
- falling asleep instantly
- Usually starts between teen & 20 years of age.
stop breathing hundreds of times during sleep
comes from Anton Mesmer...he claimed to have "magnetic powers"
Hypnotists can help aid in:
- 1. Forgetting
- 2. Remembering
- 3. Reducing minor pain
is related to relaxation
form of self control