Indicative Verb Tenses
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Indicative Mood
- Mood: The Speaker Is Certain Of Something
- Use: To Indicate or Report Something / A "Fact"
The Present Tense
- Tense: Present
- Time: The Specific NOW (at this moment)
- The General NOW (these days / this time period)
- Indicators: "now"; "these days"; "today"
The Preterite Tense
- Tense: Preterite
- Time: Specific, Completed Past Actions
- Indicators: Certain Time ("last night"; "yesterday at 4:00"; "last 4th of July)
- Certain Number of Times
The Imperfect Tense
- Tense: Imperfect
- Time: Nonspecific, Continuous Past Actions
- Indicators: "used to"; "was + ___-ing"; "would"; "always"
The Future Tense
- Tense: Future
- Time: A Future, Specific Action
- Indicators: "will"
The Conditional Tense
- Tense: Conditional
- Time: The Hypothetical Future
- Indicators: "would" (..., "if / but")
The Present Perfect Tense
- Tense: Present Perfect
- Time: The Recent Past
- Past Actions That Are Still True
- Indicators: "have" (ex: I have eaten); "has" (ex: she has eaten)
The Past Perfect Tense
- Tense: Past Perfect
- Time: The Remote Past
- Actions That Occurred Prior To A Specific Point In Time
- Indicators: "had" (ex: I had traveled. We had studied)
The Imperative Tense
- Tense: The Imperative Tense
- Time: The Present
- Indicators: Any Command
The Future Perfect Tense
- Tense: Future Perfect
- Time: The Completion Of Future Actions
- Expresses Probability Or Conjecture
- Indicators: "will have"
- "has probably"; "must have"
The Conditional Perfect Tense
- Tense: Conditional Perfect
- Time: An Uncompleted Action
- Indicators: "would have (but didn't)"
The Passive Voice
(not a verb tense)
- Voice: Incomplete Passive
- Use: When There Is No Specific Agent Perfoming The Action
- Indicators: (the understood) "you" / "they" / "one"; "(it) is done" (ex: You/One shouldn't swim after big meals. Spanish is spoken here.)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview