Biol 1009 exam 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a homologus chromosome
Chromosome that look identical and contain the genes to determine traits.
Different forms of the same genes
When a cell divides and splits into towo identical cells
What is mitosis
The division of a nucleus into two subunits
5 phases of Mitosis
What happens during prophase
- DNA Condenses into chromosomes
- Spindle fibers begin to form
- The nucleus disappears
What happens during Prometaphase?
- The nuclear envelope disappears by breaking into small peices
- The spindle fibers begin to connect to the kinotechores
- The centromes begin to move toward the equator(metaphase plate)
What happens in metaphase?
- The centromes align at the metaphase plate
- The centrome of each chromatid is "digested" so the chromatids are no longer attatched
What happens in anaphase?
- The chromosomes seperate from each other
- The choromosomes move towards their poles
What happens in Telopahase
- The chromoseomes have reached the poles
- the nuclear envelope reforms
- Cytokenisis pinches the cell into two seperate daughter cells
- When the cytoplasm spiltsStarts during anaphase in animal cells, creates a cleavage furrow
What is meiosis?
- Divisio in which the number of chromosomes is reduced by half
- Involves two cell divisions
What happens during Meiosis- Prophase
- Spindle aparatus forms
- chromosomes condense
- Hommologus pairs form a tetrad
What happens during Meiosis- Metaphase
Homologous pairs line up in the middle on the metaphase plate
What happens during Meiosis- Anaphase
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview