Methotrexate - Folex, Mexate
- Class - Antimetabolite
- Category - X
- Action - interrupts protein metabolism of cancer cells, but can also interfere with metabolism of cells that form baby cell-cycle specific.
- Alerts - avoid skin exposure, inhalation, dilute prior to IV admin.
- Side Effects - bone marrow toxicity, hemorrhage, bruising, nausea/vomiting, anorexia, GI ulceration in serious intestinal bleeding, PULMONARY TOXICITY INTERACTIONS.
- Interactions - for OD Leucovorin (folinic acid) to rescue normal cells.
- Nursing/Patient teaching - teach to avoid pregnancy 4-6 months after therapy is ended, avoid citric acid and foods high in purine (organ means, beans, peas), rinse mouth with NS every 2hrs.