Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who Were the Elder Olympians (parents?)
- Zeus (father of gods/men)
- Hera (family)
- Poseidon (sea)
- Demeter (fertility of earth)
- Hestia (hearth)
- Hades (underworld)
*Hestia and Hera not part of the 12 olympians
parents are Cronus and Rhea (hieros gamos)
Who were the Younger Olympians (parents?)
Hephaestus, Ares, Artemis, Hermes, Dionysus, Athene/a, Aphrodite, Apollo
All born from Zeus, Hephaestus and Ares with Hera
ZEUS / JUPITER / JOVE
- root of name, counterparts
- associated locations
- sacred animal
- ruler of.... (what does he stand for)
- Protector of... (Zeus Xenios)
- shrine locations
- - di means "sky" or "shine. Germanic counterpart --> Tiu (tuesday), Indic counterpart --> Dyaus Pitar (father sky)
- - "cloud gatherer" - weather; "aegis bearing" - magical preserved skin of goat who raised him- inspires fear.
- - Mount Dicte (birth), Mt Olympus, Mt Ida - peak shrouded in cloud.
- - symbol - thunderbolt (weapon), royal scepter, the royal eagle (zeus the king, first among equals)
- - animal: bull (b/c of its power and fecundity (fertility)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview