The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- to ask for humbly or earnestly, as by praying
- to make a humble entreaty to; beseech
- to make a humble, earnest petition; beg
besought or beseeched, beseeching, beseeches
- 1. to address an earnest or urgent request to; implore
- 2. to request earnestly; beg for
- synonyms: beg
- 1. mathematics: the expression written below the line in a common fraction that indicates the # of parts into which the whole is divided
- 2. a common trait or characteristics
- 3. an average level or standard
theology / theologies
- 1. the study of the nature of God & religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions
- 2. a system or school of opinions concerning God & religious questions
- 3. a course of specialized religious study usually at a college or seminary
seminary / seminaries (n)
- 1. (a) a school, esp a theological school for the training of priests, ministers, or rabbis
- 1. (b) a school of higher education, esp a private school for girls
- 2. a place or environment in which something is developed or nurtured
acerbity / acerbities (n)
sourness or acidness of taste, character or ton
a rough or bitter manner
obscenity / obscenities (n)
- 1. the state or quality of being obscene
- 2. indecency, lewdness or offensiveness in behavior, expression, or appearance
- 3. something, such as a word, act, or expression, that is indecent or lewd
- 4. something that is offensive or repulsive to the senses
lewd / lewder/ lewdest (adj)
- 1. a preoccupied w/ sex & sexual desire; lustful
- 1. b. obscene; indecent
characterized by or intended to excite crude sexual desire; obscene
2. obsolete: wicked or ignorant
- 1. given to excessive & often trivial or rambling talking; tiresomely talkative; constant & frivolous chatter; loquacious; talkative
- 2. wordy & rambling; prolix
- 1. unworthy of serious attention; trivial
- 2. inappropriately silly
- 1. of little significant or value
- 2. ordinary; commonplace
- 3. concerned w/ or involving triva
- 4. biology: relating to or designating a species; specific
- 5. math: ...
An inflammatory disorder of the lower intestinal tract, usually caused by a bacterial, parasitic, or protozoan infection and resulting in pain, fever, and severe diarrhea, often accompanied by the passage of blood and mucus.
- 1. The science that analyzes and compares human cultures, as in social structure, language, religion, and technology; cultural anthropology.
- 2. The branch of anthropology that deals with the origin, distribution, and characteristics of human racial groups.
- 1. A goosefoot (Chenopodium quinoa) native to the Andes and cultivated for its edible seeds.2. The high-protein dried fruits and seeds of this plant, used as a food staple and ground into flour.