HEPHAESTUS / VOLCANUS, VULCAN
- origin, home town
- what are the 2 versions of his birth
- what type of god (temperment), what does he stand for?
- god of ...
- patron of....
- promoter of ....
- physical characteristics
- husband of ______
- lusted after _____, who was born
GOD OF SMITHS
- - non-Greek Origin. From the island of Lemnos (active volcano - he is also associated with volcanoes, and with the cyclopes who work at the forge in them. Also where he lands when he is cast from heaven, other version falls into sea)
- - 1. Son of Zeus and Hera, son of just Hera
- - serious, stands for art, love
- - god of fire and forge (useful forge - creates important things)
- - patron of metalworkers, smiths
- - promoter of civilization and city life
- - physical deformity, lack of beauty, cripple - 1 version, Hera casts him from heaven b/c of his lameness
- - wife is Aphrodite (contrast)
- - Lusted after Athena (sister) --> chases her, ejaculates on to her leg, she wipes off and throws on ground --> Erichthonius (1st king of Athens) is born