The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the common age-related suppurative meningitis infections in neonates, infants and adults?
- Neonates: E.Coli
- Infants and pre-school children: Haemophilus Influenzae
- Adults: Neisseiria Gonnorhoea, strep pneumoniae
What are 3 risk factors for brain abscesses?
- Lung infections
- Infective endocarditis
- Congenitial heart disease
What are the 2 most important organisms for granulomatous meningitis?
- Mycobacterium TB
- Crytococcus neoformans
Name 5 types CNS infections DDx in AIDS patients.
- Subacute encephalitis
- Crytococcal meningitis/ mass lesion
- Toxoplasmosis (very common)
- Progressive multiforme leucoencephalopathy
- Bacterial brain abscess
- CNS lymphoma
Name 3 causes of parasitic CNS infections.
- Cerebral malaria
Name one organisms that may affect immunosuppressed patients.
- Listeria monocytogenes
- (Found in various foods e.g. vegies, milk, cheese. It is also a common cause of bacteraemia in pregnant women and neonates.)