The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Defining the Arts: Spectator Arts
- ballet & dance
- choral and orchestral music
- craft displays
Defining the Arts: Participation Arts
- painting classes
- photography classes
- making videos
- working with textiles
- pottery classes
- choir groups
- orchestral music
- solo instruments classes/playing
Why public funding of the Arts is justified?
Because benefits are brought to the community
What benefits can be brought to the community?
- information provision
- access to ideas from other cultures and societies
- challenges peoples thinking and ideas - therefore used to move societies forward in their thinking and understanding of issues
- powerful channel for social protest and initiator for social change
- arts institutions act as social function
- art therapy
- provide means of fulfilling universal desire to create
Positives of Arts Funding:
- Allows larger amount of people to access the Arts products and Arts-based leisure
- e.g.: libraries and book lending, art galleries and museums
- Broadcasting is important for its leisure, educational, information and national cultural-identity roles
- e.g.: ABC or SBS
A negative of arts funding
high cost in supporting the arts
Special events: an event is considered special when...
- there is the provision of enough activities for the event to take on a 'mass appeal'
- it is offered for a limited time
- it is positioned as 'outside of the ordinary'
What is the role of special events in the arts?
audience development: attracting both greater numbers of people to the Arts as well as new audiences
What are some examples of special events associated with the arts
- opening night events for new exhibitions
- demonstrations and workshops
- holiday, seasonal, and commemorative events
- special programs for targeted groups
- lectures and films
- theatre and concerts
- temporary 'discovery' rooms
- behind the scenes tours
- virtual experiences
- audio-visual programs
- audio tours
- tour groups
- holiday programs
- movie marathons
- film festivals