EVNT2002 Lecture Two
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define Culture in its two senses
- 1. intellectual and artistic activity
- 2. a way of life, both in its material and spiritual dimensions
Culture is the mechanism through which individuals communities and nations define themselves
How does culture tie in with arts?
- Culture is the unique combination of where we live and the people we associate with
- Cutlure can also be everything that contributes to the quality of our lives
- Arts activities are also cultural activities
- Arts are a mediums used to express culture
What are three commonly used classifications of culture
- artistic culture
- social culture
- cultural identity
What does Artistic Culture refer to?
- Artistic acheivement and expression
- refined appreciation of the arts
e.g. Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre - artistic culture represented through creation of artistac artefacts
What is Socail Culture?
the cultivation of the individual through intellectual trianing
How does social cutlure and the arts fit together?
- The arts associated with being cultured
- Particpation = gain of social culture = seen as socially cultured individual
What does cultural identity refer to?
- a whole way of life - material and spiritual dimensions
- one's cultural background: the customs, achievements and history of a particular civilisation or group
- social culture gained through person's actions, cultural identity is fixed
Where does entertainment fit in with arts?
Arts = cultural activity = leisure time = entertainment
What are some organisations which amdinister adn manage arts funding?
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Regional Arts Fund
- Community Heritage Grants Program
- Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme
- Cultural Development Project
- The Film Finance Corporation
- The Return of Indigenous Cultural Property Program
- Visions of Australia yourism exhibitions grants program
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview