- Marries Deianira "man killer" - wrestles the river god Achelous for her, broke off one of his horns
- Then heads to Trachis with bride. They have to cross a river, so the Centaur Nessus carries her across, and in the process assaults her.
- Heracles shoots him with a poison arrow.
- Nessus, as he is dying, tells Deianira to collect blood and semen b/c it is a powerful love potion (actually poison - poison of Hydra in his blood)
Heracles is still resentful that he was jipped of Iole
, gathers an army, sacks Oechalia, takes Iole, and kills Eurytus
. Brings her back to a cape on Euboea
- Deanira remembers the love potion. Soaks a shirt in the potion; gives to a messenger, Lichas, to give to Heracles
- Shirt, poisonous, rips his flesh apart.
- kills Lichas, tells son to carry him away
dies at the hands of the dead (nessus) and from a woman - unheroic
Deanira stabs herself
Brought to a pyre on the top of Mount Oeta, no one dares light except a passing shephard - Philocetes
. But no traces of bone. He is lifted up into heaven (apotheosis) -
exaltation of subject to divine level