Anatomy 1 physiology
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
FUNCTIONS OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
1. Sensory input :
information gathered by sensory receptors about internal and external changes.
interpretation of sensory input
3. motor output
activation of effector organs (muscles and glands) produces a response
peripheral nervous system (PNS)
two functional divisions
1. Sensory (afferent) division
- Somatic afferent fibers--convey impulses from skin, skeletal muscles and joints
- Visceral afferent fibers--convey impulses from visceral organs.
2. Motor (efferent) division
Transmits impulses from the CNS to effector organs
Motor Division of PNS
1. Somatic (voluntary) nervous system
Consious control of skeletal muscles
2. Autonomic (involuntary) nervous system (ANS)
Regulates smooth muscle, cardiac muscle and glands
- Two functional subdivision
- Sympathetic --fight or flight
- Parasympathetic-- calm down
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview