- - daughters of Cecrops is a myth that reflects a ritual --> the Arrephoria - "festival of the dew carriers"
- - every year 2 young girls live in a house on the Acropolis, spend the whole year weaving a robe offered to the statue of Athena
- Athena sends them at night into a grove of Aphrodite, take baskets on heads, carry through secret passageway and leave at bottom, climb back out with covered basket holding something secret
- - Entrance into Aphrodite's grove = loss of sexual innocence; same with the nocturnal descent underground (where Hades carried the virgin Persephone to make her his bride).
- - in the ritual the girls die smybollically (actually for Herse and Aglaurus) to represent the end of the virgin's life of sexual innocence
- snake represents penis, so actual death in myth represents loss of sexual innocence - enacted at the Arrephoria (every parthenos
must undergo to become a woman- gyne
- phallus engenders life, basket in myth has new life, loss of virginity/death of daughters brings promise of new life