The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Nature of Gospels (2)
- 1. not written by Jesus
- 2. 4 of them
Historical Context of Jesus Particular(3)
- 1. what context? (none)
- 2. ask "who was Jesus' audience?"
- 3. emphasis on story's final thought
Historical Context of Jesus Generally (3)
- 1. He was Jewish
- 2. taught in parables
- 3. taught in proverbs, irony, poetry, etc.
Historical Context of Evangelists (3)
- 1. evangelists were gospel writers
- 2. evangelists wrote w/ a certain bend
- 3. evangelists were prompted to write by interests & concerns
Think Horizonatally (3)
- 1. look for parallels w/in the 4 Gospels
- 2. not written independently
- 3. appreciate uniqueness of Gospels
Think Vertically (2)
- 1. see what you're reading as Word of God
- 2. be aware of Jesus' life
Gospels as a Whole (2)
- 1. evangelists were authors, not compilers
- 2. evangelists selected, arranged, & adapted narratives that suited their purposes
Teachings & Imperatives (3)
- 1. not law
- 2. our salvation does not depend on it
- 3. example for us to follow
1. read w/ understanding about what else is happening
Final Word (3)
- 1. eschatology (study of end times)
- 2. NT believers thought they were in end times
- 3. we do too
Parables are often...
misunderstood or misinterpreted.
Parables in History (4)
- 1. harden those on outside
- 2. contain mysteries for those on inside
- 3. about human relationships
- 4. understand the audience
Kind of Parables & Descriptions (2)
- 1. True Parable
- -beginning & end
- 2. Similitude
- -illustrations of everyday life
Function of parables is...
to call forth a response from hearer.
Points of Reference (2)
- 1. what draws you into it?
- 2. what is the intended response?
- 1. given in many parables
- 2. reread until find who is "caught"
Parables of Kingdom tell us (2)
- 1. judgment is impending
- 2. salvation is free for all
Hermaneutical ?s tell us to (2)
- 1. translate parables into our own context
- 2. proclaim kingdom
A pericope is ...
an individual saying or story (called a "pronouncement story")
The Synoptic Gospels are (3)