A & P II
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Respiration involves both
the respiratory and the circulatory systems
What are the 4 processes that supply the body O2 and dispose of CO2
- Pulmonary ventilation
- External ventilation
- Transport of O2 and CO2 in the blood
- Internal respiration
Pulmonary ventilation is
breathing, movement of air in and out of the lungs.
External respiration is
O2 and CO2 exchange between the lungs and the blood
What is internal respiration?
O2 and CO2 exchange between systemic blood vessels and tissues.
What are the 9 major organs of the respiratory system?
- Nose, nasal cavity, and paranasal sinuses
- Bronchi and their branches
- Lungs and alveoli
The site of gas exchange is called the
The respiratory zone includes
Microscopic structures: respiratory bronchioles, alveolar ducts, and alveoli
What are the conduits to gas exchange sites called?
What are the functions of the nose?
- Provides an airway for respiration
- Moistens and warms the entering air
- Filters and cleans inspired air
- Serves as a resonating chamber for speech
- Houses olfactory receptors
The nasal cavity superior to the nostrils is called_______________ it has _________________
- Vibrissae (nose hairs) that filter coarse particles from inspired air.
What lines the superior nasal cavity and contains smell receptors?
Respiratory mucosa contain
- Mucous and serous secretions
Cilia in the nasal cavity move
contaminated mucus posteriorly to throat
Mucous and serous secretions contain
lysozyme and defensins
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview