micro test 3 part 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Each year approximatly 10 million people die as a result of airborne disease trasmitted by transmission of air droplets (coughing-sneezing). Also can be transmitted by hands of person.
Upper Respiratory diseases
STREPTOCOCCAL PHARYNGITIS --common sore throat caused by STREPTOCOCCUS PYOGENES (COCCI CHAIN)
This MO is BETA HEMOLETIC (complete break down of RBC-clear zone around growth of blood agar plate)
Incubation Period = 24-48 hours
Symptoms = sever cough --high fever--headaches-mutli-colored mucas
Easily cured by anti-biotics (pennicillin-Ampacillin-eurythemisin)
If not treated could lead into Scarlet fever which could be fatal - Scarlet fever is result of Exotoxins
Airborne --Upper respritory diseases (cont)
- Caused by CORYNEBACTERIUM DIPTHERIAE --(RODS)
- Highly contagious airborne disease, especially among kids. (coughing sneezing).
7-9 days. Because it is caused by Exotoxins produced by this germ.
= High fever-severe cough-congestion and production of heavy mucus which can cause blockage of air passage of kids.
= Vaccine DPT. practically illiminated in US. Antibiotics work well.
Lower Respiratory Tracht -- Lungs
- Caused by MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS
- Kills appx 3 million people worldwide. 30,000 in the US. (cough sneeze) Once in System long incubation. Could reside in lung tissue and be dormant 9infected not diseased) 3-6 months.
symptoms -chronic cough - low grade fever- fatigue-loss of appetite and loss of weight.
- Diagnose with use of Acid fast test from saliva of patient. (Small Red Rod)
- If positive patient is isolated and given anti-biotics. wnd test is tuberculin skin test. If positive reddish raised area on forarm 10mm in diameter. Last confirmation is chest x-ray. If diseased use Ethanbutal-Isoniazid-Rifampin cocktail for 6 months. 1960's 80k cases per year-in 80's dropped to 10-15k-but gone up to 30 k cases. --homeless increase--immigrants and HIV patients.
Airborne Lower respritory tracht
Pertussis -Whooping Cough
caused by BORDELLA PERTUSSIS (SHORT RODS) --COUGHING-SNEEZING.
Incubation period 3-5 days
Symptoms = High fever - prevention DPT vaccine.
Treatment BS antibiotics
Legionnaires Disease --1977
- Philidelphia in 76. 200 people got sick with pnemonia type symptoms. 6 died
- LEGIONELLA PNEUMOPHILA (SHORT RED RODS)
Incubation 24-48 hours
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview