The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does Caveat mean?
A warning or caution: "A final caveat: Most experts feel that clients get unsatisfactory results when they don't specify clearly what they want" (Savvy).
van·guard (vngärd)n.1. The foremost position in an army or fleet advancing into battle.2. a. The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement.b. Those occupying a foremost position
de·noue·ment also dé·noue·ment (dn-mä)n.1. a. The final resolution or clarification of a dramatic or narrative plot.b. The events following the climax of a drama or novel in which such a resolution or clarification takes place.2. The outcome of a sequence of events; the end result.
- 1. Relating to the philosophy or theories of aesthetics.2. Of or
- concerning the appreciation of beauty or good taste: the aesthetic
- faculties.3. Characterized by a heightened sensitivity to beauty.4.
- Artistic: The play was an aesthetic success.5. Informal Conforming to
- accepted notions of good taste.
cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)n. An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.
fraught (frôt)adj.1. Filled with a specified element or elements; charged: an incident fraught with danger; an evening fraught with high drama.
im·pet·u·ous (m-pch-s)adj.1. Characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate.2. Having or marked by violent force: impetuous, heaving waves.
Synonyms: impetuous, heedless, hasty, headlong, precipitate, sudden
mal·fea·sance (ml-fzns)n. Misconduct or wrongdoing, especially by a public official.
nu·ance (näns, ny-, n-äns, ny-)n.1. A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.2. Expression or appreciation of subtle shades of meaning, feeling, or tone: a rich artistic performance, full of nuance.
acerbate [ˈæsəˌbeɪt]vb (tr)1. to embitter or exasperate 2. to make sour or bitter
acerbate - cause to be bitter or resentful; "These injustices embittered her even more" embitter, envenom
- Noun1.encumbrance - an onerous or difficult concern; "the burden of responsibility"; "that's a load off my mind"burden, onus, incumbrance, loadheadache, worry, vexation, concern
- - something or someone that causes anxiety; a source of unhappiness;
- "New York traffic is a constant concern"; "it's a major worry"dead weight - an oppressive encumbrance
pot·pour·ri (pp-r)n. pl. pot·pour·ris 1. A combination of incongruous things: "In the minds of many, the real and imagined causes for Russia's defeats quickly mingled into a potpourri of terrible fears" (W. Bruce Lincoln).2. A miscellaneous anthology or collection: a potpourri of short stories and humorous verse.3. A mixture of dried flower petals and spices used to scent the air.
- ec·ze·ma (ks-m, gz-, g-z-)n.
- A noncontagious inflammation of the skin, characterized chiefly by
- redness, itching, and the outbreak of lesions that may discharge serous
- matter and become encrusted and scaly.